Intellectual Property in the Music Classroom

A huge issue with creating resources for the music classroom, is the copyright issue when it comes to music. I was planning on creating a lesson that included some printed music, and recently had to contact the publisher, Alfred, to get permission. I was able to have a contact reach back out to me, who let me know that the sheet music itself cannot be shown on a video that is being used for public usage. If I wanted to use it online and use music only with no images of the music, the fee would be $50 for a term of three years (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.). If I want to use the music for educational purposes, it is in fair use, and I can use the music for free. In this case, there is no need for permission or a license. 

I have heard of schools and teachers being reprimanded for using music outside of their permission. Some schools have been hit hard with fines to be set as examples. Something that happens often, is the recreation of musicals without getting permission from the publisher. This is a big no-no, and if school's are found out to use music outside of their permission, they are hit with large fines. 

In terms of the creation of property in the music class, it was nice to hear about Creative Commons, and how work can be licensed so easily. In the future, should I create any content for educational or work purposes, this is definitely something I would use to ensure that all or parts of my creations are safe.




Comments

  1. Creative commons is really very helpful for educators. As educators, we have to be very careful in using images and videos as there are consequences for sharing these media without prior permission from the creators. I am glad that there are a huge repository of media available for our use without having to worry about seeking permission or paying huge exorbitant sums just to use it in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you would post about music this week. Thanks! I can see how this could present challenges in an online environment. I would wonder if this also applies to dance? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on tools I have learned about this semester

Thoughts on groups in the 2.0 world: Enders Game